Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Benedict XVI!!

As most Catholics did around the world I watched the window of St. Peter's with great excitement yesterday. I knew that the quick election of a Pope probably meant that Cardinal Ratzinger was our new Pope, but I was still holding out hope for a reformer. At first I was very disappointed in the selection of Cardinal Ratzinger. I had been hoping to have a forward thinking Pope that was ready to call Vatican III. However, after having the night to think about it I think that the Holy Spirit did work through the Cardinals and they picked exactly the right man to be Pope at this time. I know that this may come as a shock to all of our reader being that I am a Liberal but a radical change is not what the Church needs today.
Will the Church need a radical change soon?? Yes!! This is not the moment though. This is a time for the Church to catch its breath. Reassess the situation and prepare to deal with the challenges during the next pontificate. By electing a close ally of JPII we know that the Church will not dramatically shift one way or the other anytime soon. Plus, Benedict XVI is 78 which means that his pontificate would last 10 years or less. This is time to take a step back and prepare for the future and then elect a South American radical in the next conclave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home