Monday, January 16, 2006

In memory of MLK

I live in Houston. Well, actually, I've spent the last month in Houston and am returning today to DC for a few more months. One characteristic of life in Houston is that people who don't live here love to tell me what a shitty place Houston is to live. And, on many points, I have to agree with them.

However, there are some wonderful things about Houston that help make up for all of the bad ones. The Menil Collection and the associated Rothko Chapel being one of them.

What does this have to do with MLK? Today, to help commemorate the life and work of the good Doctor, the Rothko Chapel will reinstall Broken Obelisk, a sculpture that the de Menils installed as a memorial to MLK. The article is especially interesting to read because it recounts the failed attempts of the de Menils originally to have the sculpture installed at Houston's city hall.

It's too bad I won't be able to see it today, but on the other hand, this does give me another reason to look forward to coming back to Houston.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home