Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Hate Amendment

This is our 100th post since we started this blog. Therefore, I put lots of thought into what should I should write about. Thought about extolling the virtues of the NY Jets, or maybe listing the ever expanding list of why John Kerry HAS to be our next President. Bush bashing was out because that is getting too easy. So I finally landed on the issue of the week and most bs issue of the year... Gay Marriage and the republicans Hate Amendment.

I would first like to ask my right wing readers a couple questions. Has your our your parent's marriage failed or become meaningless because homosexuals have gotten married? Are you not going to get married because Adam and Steve got married?

I hate to revel in the failures of the republican party...wait a minute... I love to revel in the failures of the republican party and they could not have botched this weeks debate on the Hate Amendment more. First they introduced the amendment knowing that it had no chance of passing because even members of their our caucus knew that it was bigoted and we should not be writing discrimination into the constitution. Even Lynne Cheney can out against it. Then in a classic move they tried to soften the amendment by taking out language that would have banned civil unions as well as marriage. One minor problem though, this allowed the Democrats to filibuster the new amendment and basically kill it. So after a week of shooting themselves in the foot in an attempt to get a "wedge" issue they will never end up with a vote on the amendment. I sure am glad that we took a whole week out of doing the nation's business in order to debate codifying hate. Good work repubs... you get the political error of the week.

Here are some articles showing the colossal failure:

CNN

WAPO

NYTimes

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was reading Call The Editor in today's Tulsa World, and this opinion caught my eye...

~Pass a ban on divorces, too
When the hypocrites in Washington amend the Constitution to ban divorce, then and only then will I support an amendment to ban gay marriages. This is just another mean-spirited act from the so-called compassionate conservative Republicans.



The big reasons Repbs give for banning gay marriage are family values and the well-being of children. I heard some Repb. blabbing that children need a mother and a father, and gay couples can't give them that.

But how many children live in two parent homes these days anyway???

All children need is someone to love, support, and take care of them. It doesn't matter if it's Adam and Eve or Adam and Steve. Or just Adam or Eve.

Why are we discouraging two people of the same sex from entering into a loving committed relationship, but we are just fine with J Lo getting married for the third time??!! Talk about making a mockery of marriage!

That's my two cents,
Stephanie :-)

11:23 AM  
Blogger Colin said...

Way to step up Steph!! Must have hit a nerve... Keep it coming!!

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you do such a great job with the Bush bashing, that I don't always have anything else to add. But when it comes to topics dealing with so called "morality" I can blab for days. I just can't stand having the agenda of the Christian Right thrust down my throat! I mean thinking your morally superior to others is why wars have been fought throughout history. Why can't we all just get along??!!

:-)

Plus, it was your 100th post, so a had to leave a good comment!

Stephanie :-)

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home