Friday, June 09, 2006

World Cup Blogs and Commentary

The time has arrived... The World Cup has begun. I'm psyched because I think Team USA has a better shot than most people give them of making it out of their group... oh yeah, I'm actually really psyched because I drew Brazil and Ukraine in the World Cup pool that I'm in. For the uninitiated, Brazil is the overwhelming favorite to win. That $250 is as good as mine... As for Ukraine, well, ummmm, let's just say I hope they give whomever they play a tough time and I wish them luck in their first World Cup. I was good friends with a guy from Ukraine in business school. If Ukraine plays with half of the enthusiasm that guy has, then they will do OK.

Now then, where are this site's three and a half readers getting their World Cup info?

Here's The New Republic's Blog and here's The New York Times' Blog. Anyone care to post some others in the comments?

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I was shocked by Sweden's performance today... As someone who is Twenty-seven Thirty ninths Swedish, I was saddened by the performance of my ancestral nation... shutout by a backup goalie no less

7:11 PM  
Blogger dcyanni said...

With this World Cup, soccer interest in the U.S. will undoubtedly pick up. We are going to have a new generation of soccer lovers. Soccer will surpass American football and baseball.

I've heard this same basic quote since the early 1970s.

The fact is, that soccer will never be HUGE in the U.S. That's because, simply put, soccer sucks!

12:25 PM  
Blogger dcyanni said...

I don't know who Mr. Yainilos is, but I do know that I played a ton of soccer growing up. I was even an all-star several times.

As a soccer player, I still think that that soccer will be never be HUGE in America like the national football league or major league baseball.

The rest of the world may like it - some in America may like it - but it will never get stellar tv ratings here in our life-time.

I guess Canon thinks our Constitution should bend too to whatever the rest of the world says. Why not get rid of our Constitution and just listen to what the rest of the world has to say?

What did the Constitution ever do to you Mr. Manning?

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home