Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Who Da Man??? Joe Gibbs. Why the Redskins will Win the Super Bowl

Ok Ok Ok - I know that the proprietors of this liberal blog probably hate the racially insensitive "REDSKINS" name. I know that I will probably be called a few insensitive names myself for even mentioning the Washington Redskins here; however, the fact is that the NFL opening day is right around the corner. Thus, I must ask the question . . .

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL???

I am for sure.

I have been a HUGE Redskins fan since I can remember - dating back to 1979. But to me, my coming of age in football started in 1981 with the arrival of the best coach of the modern era - Joe Gibbs. He started that first year 0-5. But then, his team finished strong and ended the year 8-8. The next year, Gibbs would win Super Bowl 17 over the Dolphins with probably one of the most memorable football plays ever - John Riggins running off left tackle on 4th and 1 over the "killer bees" defense and 40 or some yards later into the end zone. GAME OVER.

Over the next 10 years, Gibbs' Redskins would dominate. In addition to winning the Super Bowl in 1982, they went to the big game in 1983. They won it in 1987 and again in 1991.

Gibbs then left football to go undertake a new challenge: NASCAR. He dominated there as well.

2 years ago, Gibbs came back to football to rescue the Skins from Norv Turner and Steve Spurrier - probably 2 of the worst NFL coaches of all time. The first year was rough. Last year, the Skins made it deep into the playoffs. This year, they are ready to roll.

The Skins already had one of the best defense in the NFL. This offseason, they added a pass-rushing defensive end in Andre Carter. On the offensive side, they added serious firepower. Already stocked with Santana Moss, Clinton Portis, and Chris Cooley, the Skins added Brandon Lloyd, Antwan Randel-El and now TJ Duckett. On top of all this, they added the best offensive coach in the game to their staff - former KC offensive coordinate Al Saunders. If Mark Brunell can stay healthy - nothing should be able to stop this team.

Some may point to the fact that the Skins haven't won a single game in the preseason to date as a reason for concern. Look back at history though. Every year the Skins won the Super Bowl under Gibbs, their preseason record was terrible.

Sorry, Colin - I know your beloved JETS are trying hard. But they look to have another bad year. But, maybe we can all be happy if the JETS turn it around and can meet the Skins in the Super Bowl. (with a broken down Curtis Martin and a QB with no shoulder and another one with poor judgment I don't see how this is going to happen though).

Finally - Tim - I was going to post a link for you with this post to some news story that is hard to find, like you normally do- but I thought I'd spare our reader(s) the pain.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS! HAIL VICTORY. BRAVES ON THE WARPATH. FIGHT FOR OLD DC!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

'tis true... I sing Hail to the Redskins whenever they score no matter where I am at when I'm watching a game.

Furthermore, I am a graduate of the University of Illinois and a fan of their men's basketball and football teams, known as The Fighting Illini.

I am still upset that the NCAA has deemed the Florida State University indian riding on a horse to not be offensive while our revered symbol, Chief Illiniwek, has been deemed inappropriate and, as a result our campus cannot host NCAA championship events.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home