Tuesday, September 05, 2006

"World Trade Center" the Movie: Top of the Class or Just Plain Crass???

Oliver Stone is the king of reinventing history through movies. Nevertheless, I do have to say that I generally do like his completely fictional movies. While too many Americans watch these loosely based historical films like JFK and use them as their only guide for history - and thus now have an inaccurate sense of history because of Stone - I generally enjoy Stone's fictional take on non-fiction. His films, generally speaking, are entertaining and thought-provoking.

Stone's most recent flick, however - World Trade Center - has given me pause for several reasons.

First, I've been reluctant to see it because I lived through a massive evacuation on 9/11; lived right next door, at the time, to the burning Pentagon; and dealt with many of the 9/11 families in the aftermath. That day is forever etched into my mind, and I don't think I'm quite ready to relive it in a public movie theater.

Secondly, I find it completely reprehensible for millionaire moguls like Stone to be making money from a horrific event in American history that cost so many honest, hard working civilians their lives. Wouldn't it be better - and emulate the sense of American generosity - for the profits of this film to go to help the victims' families of 9/11?

So, this brings me to my question: are the proceeds of the movie going to the victims' families of 9/11? I honestly don't know but would like to know.

If the millionaire media moguls profiteer off of this, it just seems repugnant to me. No one should, in good taste, profit off the horrific events of that day a mere five years after it happened. Sure, I've seen Civil War movies; World War II movies; Vietnam movies, etc... But, those movies came after we've all been able to get some distance from the matter.

In my view, the millionaires who are making movies like World Trade Center should be offering the profits to the victims' families. I wonder if the victims are even getting a penny from Mr. Stone. If you all know something I don't, please offer it here and tell me these victims are being helped by the movie.

One thing is for sure.... I was stunned to read in this weekend's Parade magazine that one of the film's stars - Maggie Gyllenhaal - reportedly said that the U.S. was responsible for the attacks on 9/11. DISGUSTING. She says the US is responsible for all of these deaths. Meanwhile, she is more than happy I'm sure to make money from capitalism and freedom the U.S. stands for and from the hard working American movie-goer who forks over $10 plus for a ticket.

Thoughts anybody?

1 Comments:

Blogger dcyanni said...

I think the benchmark should be kind of like obscenity: you know it when you see it. 5 years is just too soon to me. I think common-sense would tell you that.

And, on top of that - it is in just bad taste to blame our country for an attack by radical terrorists that killed thousands of civilian Americans, make a movie about it, and then profit off it is repulsive.

You asked a question - but I'd appreciate your thoughts. Is Stone donating profits? Do you find it repulsive?

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home